Ping Lindsay
Daniel65
2023-03-03 09:58:16 UTC
Are you off to the Airshow this week-end??
Daniel
lindsay
2023-03-23 21:14:22 UTC
Post by Daniel65
Are you off to the Airshow this week-end??
nope. thought about it, but my mates dropped off, and there was no way I
was driving.Was told it was marred by severe traffic delays (up to four
hours!) expensive entry fees ($90) overcrowding, and many more chalets
than previous years meant the overcrowded people has even less chance of
getting a decent view...Nah, not for me.
Daniel65
2023-03-24 10:49:36 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Are you off to the Airshow this week-end??
nope. thought about it, but my mates dropped off, and there was no
way I was driving.Was told it was marred by severe traffic delays (up
to four hours!) expensive entry fees ($90) overcrowding, and many
more chalets than previous years meant the overcrowded people has
even less chance of getting a decent view...Nah, not for me.
"severe traffic delays (up to four hours!)"!! Bloody hell .... that
would do wonders for air-pollution!!

And $90 ... just to look at the sky!! Nope!
Daniel
lindsay
2023-03-24 21:40:32 UTC
Post by Daniel65
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Are you off to the Airshow this week-end??
nope. thought about it, but my mates dropped off, and there was no
way I was driving.Was told it was marred by severe traffic delays (up
to four hours!) expensive entry fees ($90) overcrowding, and many
more chalets than previous years meant the overcrowded people has
even less chance of getting a decent view...Nah, not for me.
"severe traffic delays (up to four hours!)"!! Bloody hell .... that
would do wonders for air-pollution!!
And $90 ... just to look at the sky!! Nope!
this was the show stopper: the USAF F-22 Raptor.

taken on one of the trade days...

I used to love the airshow. Nothing like the sound of a big jet tearing
the sky in half. The early ones were awesome, with mil jets from all
over the place, inc US, UK, Russia, Malaysia, Japan, NZ was truly
international. Thesedays, not so much... I havent been for ages, coz of
work commitments, which i dont have to worry about anymore. I'm still
kicking myself for missing the final flights of the immortal F-111.
Daniel65
2023-03-26 09:53:47 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
http://youtu.be/XRMv0yM89t4 taken on one of the trade
days...
I used to love the airshow. Nothing like the sound of a big jet
tearing the sky in half. The early ones were awesome, with mil jets
from all over the place, inc US, UK, Russia, Malaysia, Japan, NZ was
truly international. Thesedays, not so much... I havent been for
ages, coz of work commitments, which i dont have to worry about
anymore. I'm still kicking myself for missing the final flights of
the immortal F-111.
Just watched 'The Final Countdown' today, having recorded it a couple of
days back.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Those WWII Japanese pilots would have been shit scared when they saw the
Jets from the 1980'ish USS Nimitz buzzing them!!
Daniel
lindsay
2023-03-31 08:23:16 UTC
Post by Daniel65
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
[...]
Ah yes, Kirk Douglas as the commander.. was a great film in it's time,
and yes, you could nearly hear the Japs arseholes slam shut when the
F-14's blew past. Has been a couple of awesome military films come out
recently..
Danger close: The Battle of Long Tan,

and
Hunter Killer.

Top Gun Maverick doesn't need mentioning, :-)
Daniel65
2023-03-31 10:16:51 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
[...]
http://youtu.be/_E0J11-rB7Q and Hunter Killer.
http://youtu.be/mnP_z3qXDCQ
Top Gun Maverick doesn't need mentioning, :-)
"doesn't need mentioning" .... because it's utter crap or .... ?

(Not having seen it .... or been to the flicks since pre-CoViD!!)
Daniel
lindsay
2023-04-04 08:22:44 UTC
Post by Daniel65
Ah yes, Kirk Douglas as the commander..  was a great film in it's
time, and yes, you could nearly hear the Japs arseholes slam shut
when the F-14's blew past.  Has been a couple of awesome military
films come out recently.. Danger close: The Battle of Long Tan,
http://youtu.be/_E0J11-rB7Q and Hunter Killer.
http://youtu.be/mnP_z3qXDCQ
Top Gun Maverick doesn't need mentioning, :-)
"doesn't need mentioning" .... because it's utter crap or .... ?
(Not having seen it .... or been to the flicks since pre-CoViD!!)
unless you've been living in an alternate universe, TG:Mav would be one
of the highest grossing films in the last 10 years. I'd never been to
gold class cinema, glad i did for it. well worth the extra$$$. Unforgetable.
Daniel65
2023-04-04 11:37:51 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Ah yes, Kirk Douglas as the commander..  was a great film in it's
time, and yes, you could nearly hear the Japs arseholes slam shut
when the F-14's blew past.  Has been a couple of awesome military
films come out recently.. Danger close: The Battle of Long Tan,
http://youtu.be/_E0J11-rB7Q and Hunter Killer.
http://youtu.be/mnP_z3qXDCQ
Top Gun Maverick doesn't need mentioning, :-)
"doesn't need mentioning" .... because it's utter crap or .... ?
(Not having seen it .... or been to the flicks since pre-CoViD!!)
unless you've been living in an alternate universe, TG:Mav would be one
of the highest grossing films in the last 10 years. I'd never been to
gold class cinema, glad i did for it. well worth the extra$$$.
Unforgetable.
Ah!! O.K., glad you enjoyed yourself, Lindsay.
Daniel
Marts
2023-08-20 03:25:45 UTC
Wasn't too bad. The Sth Korean Airforce aerial display was awesome, but the icing on the cake was the USAF F22 Raptor. If you've seen Top Gun Maverick and the stunts that the "enemy" 5th Gen fighters were doing and thought, yeah, yeah, CGI special effects, well, the F22 was performing moves much like that.
lindsay
2023-08-22 22:58:19 UTC
Post by Marts
Post by Daniel65
And $90 ... just to look at the sky!! Nope!
Wasn't too bad. The Sth Korean Airforce aerial display was awesome, but the icing on the cake was the USAF F22 Raptor. If you've seen Top Gun Maverick and the stunts that the "enemy" 5th Gen fighters were doing and thought, yeah, yeah, CGI special effects, well, the F22 was performing moves much like that.
hey, a blast from the passt! How ya going?

Yep, saw a sukhoi su-27 pull the cobra manouver at an early Avalon
Airshow.. the video of the f-22 and the recent airshow is preety good.
Was listening to the Koreans on the scannerr. :-D i've been meaning to
go to an Avalon airshow, but just havent made it. And it sounds like the
Pacific Airshow at Surfers was a dud...

Cheers...
Marts
2023-08-24 02:45:08 UTC
Post by lindsay
hey, a blast from the passt! How ya going?
Yeah, OK for an old guy, I guess. 2 years into retirement now.
Post by lindsay
Yep, saw a sukhoi su-27 pull the cobra manouver at an early Avalon
Airshow.. the video of the f-22 and the recent airshow is preety good.
Was listening to the Koreans on the scannerr. :-D i've been meaning to
go to an Avalon airshow, but just havent made it. And it sounds like the
Pacific Airshow at Surfers was a dud...
I'll do the Avalon Show in '25 but I hope to go on the trade day. My son in law is a defence contractor and went to the trade show on the Wednesday this year. Said it was great. No crowds, quick getting into and out of the place.

We went on the Friday which while the lines into the carpark started at the freeway exit, took probably half an hour to get in. Crowd-wise it was OK, the grandstands were chockers so we went for a walk to gawk at the parked up F18s (can't remember if they were Growlers (E18Gs) or Super Hornets. But remove the "ets" from the name and that describes how they looked and performed.

The public area was almost deserted so we set up camp under a gazebo with the camera.

Incidentally, as we arrived, so too did a Qantas A330 being escorted by two F18s/E18Gs. all three aircraft were flown by women. Met the pilots flying the fighters. Made me pine for my 20s, it did...

Yeah, heard that the Pacific Airshow was a bit disappointing, what with a few promised aircraft not turning up. Saw the RAAF GoPro cockpit vision on YT. Impressive.
lindsay
2023-08-24 12:09:45 UTC
Post by Marts
Post by lindsay
hey, a blast from the passt! How ya going?
Yeah, OK for an old guy, I guess. 2 years into retirement now.
I'm in the same boat... retired december last year. Bit earlier than
originaly planned, but financial situation was acceptable, so who wants
to work? Going on 6th cruise in two months, and 7th in Jan 24... still,
I cant argue, instead of coming up the block for 3 days a month, now up
here for average 2 weeks at a time.
Post by Marts
Post by lindsay
Yep, saw a sukhoi su-27 pull the cobra manouver at an early Avalon
Airshow.. the video of the f-22 and the recent airshow is preety good.
Was listening to the Koreans on the scannerr. :-D i've been meaning to
go to an Avalon airshow, but just havent made it. And it sounds like the
Pacific Airshow at Surfers was a dud...
I'll do the Avalon Show in '25 but I hope to go on the trade day. My son in law is a defence contractor and went to the trade show on the Wednesday this year. Said it was great. No crowds, quick getting into and out of the place.
Trade days would be a winner... I used to fly in from Moorabbin.. not
cheap, but very handy... then work got in the way of everything.
Have more time now, but just need the desire.. I think the F-22 display
alone would be worth the effort. :-)
Post by Marts
We went on the Friday which while the lines into the carpark started at the freeway exit, took probably half an hour to get in. Crowd-wise it was OK, the grandstands were chockers so we went for a walk to gawk at the parked up F18s (can't remember if they were Growlers (E18Gs) or Super Hornets. But remove the "ets" from the name and that describes how they looked and performed.
The public area was almost deserted so we set up camp under a gazebo with the camera.
Awesome!!!
Post by Marts
Incidentally, as we arrived, so too did a Qantas A330 being escorted by two F18s/E18Gs. all three aircraft were flown by women. Met the pilots flying the fighters. Made me pine for my 20s, it did...
Yeah, heard that the Pacific Airshow was a bit disappointing, what with a few promised aircraft not turning up. Saw the RAAF GoPro cockpit vision on YT. Impressive.
i'll take a look.... cheers... me, i've bought 3 new rods and reels, and
going to spend a bit of time with my brother and his 26' boat in Perth.
Hopefully go north and catch a Spanish Mackeral. One less on the bucket
list...

Cheers!!!
lindsay
2023-08-25 08:30:26 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Marts
Post by lindsay
hey, a blast from the passt! How ya going?
Yeah, OK for an old guy, I guess. 2 years into retirement now.
I'm in the same boat... retired december last year. Bit earlier than
originaly planned, but financial situation was acceptable, so who wants
to work? Going on 6th cruise in two months,
Dunno what happened there... 6th cruise in 4 years, and 7th around NZ in
Jan next year...
Daniel65
2023-08-23 05:51:32 UTC
Post by Marts
Post by Daniel65
And $90 ... just to look at the sky!! Nope!
Wasn't too bad. The Sth Korean Airforce aerial display was awesome,
but the icing on the cake was the USAF F22 Raptor. If you've seen
Top Gun Maverick and the stunts that the "enemy" 5th Gen fighters
were doing and thought, yeah, yeah, CGI special effects, well, the
F22 was performing moves much like that.
Hello, Marts, I was thinking of you just recently when there was more
talk about closing of various Generator sites in the next few years. You
work/worked at one of the Gennie sites didn't you??

Where was there an Air Show recently?? I didn't hear/read anything about
it??
Daniel
Marts
2023-08-24 02:51:12 UTC
Post by Daniel65
Hello, Marts, I was thinking of you just recently when there was more
talk about closing of various Generator sites in the next few years. You
work/worked at one of the Gennie sites didn't you??
Loy Yang A closure has been announced to great fanfare and that we the long suffering taxpayer will be propping up the likes of billionaire Gannon-Brookes who's a major AGL shareholder and rabid greeny (I wonder if he has his own private jet or does he walk or cycle everywhere).

Loy Yang B next door is supplied fuel from the same mine as LYA but it has rock solid supply contracts up to 2047. And the way that it's performing it ain't going anywhere. So, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Yallourn closes in 2028.

The local paper mill, the Valley's largest private employer (the local hospital is a bigger one but it isn't private) has shut down 2 of its machines due to timber supplies being withdrawn at the end of this year. That has far reaching ramifications for employment around here, towns like Orbost out east and so on. Not to mention all the plant that will be sold to whoever wants to buy it and which is used to help with bushfire fighting.

So, if you live in Gippsland you're gonna be facing some difficult times from 2024 onwards.
Avalon back in March.
Daniel65
2023-08-24 12:33:32 UTC
Post by Marts
Post by Daniel65
Hello, Marts, I was thinking of you just recently when there was
more talk about closing of various Generator sites in the next few
years. You work/worked at one of the Gennie sites didn't you??
Loy Yang A closure has been announced to great fanfare
Yeah, I think that's the one I was refering to!
Post by Daniel65
Where was there an Air Show recently?? I didn't hear/read anything
about it??
Avalon back in March.
AH, right, I guess there hasn't been much activity around this newsgroup
this year!! ;-(
Daniel
lindsay
First post in this thread...
Daniel65
2023-08-25 11:33:14 UTC
Post by lindsay
Post by Daniel65
Post by Marts
Post by Daniel65
And $90 ... just to look at the sky!! Nope!
Wasn't too bad. The Sth Korean Airforce aerial display was awesome,
but the icing on the cake was the USAF  F22 Raptor. If you've seen
Top Gun Maverick and the stunts that the "enemy" 5th Gen fighters
were doing and thought, yeah, yeah, CGI special effects, well, the
F22 was performing moves much like that.
Hello, Marts, I was thinking of you just recently when there was more
talk about closing of various Generator sites in the next few years.
You work/worked at one of the Gennie sites didn't you??
Where was there an Air Show recently?? I didn't hear/read anything
about it??
Are you off to the Airshow this week-end??
First post in this thread...
Really!! The first post *I* see in this thread was from a bit further
back than that .....

Well, I was going to post its content (like you did) but, apparently it
has expired from the E-S server .... 5:22 pm, 2/3/17

And I thought the Air Show had usually been held a lot earlier in the
year than this so was somewhat surprised (and delighted) when I read
Marts post just a couple of days age.!! ;-P
--
Daniel